Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Terra Naomi Live on Ustream.tv 4th January 2011


I have to recount a magical experience last night watching a Terra Naomi live session on ustream.tv. This was a first for me and was akin to a private concert- Terra broadcast from her flat in LA. It’s not always easy to rationalise an emotional experience, but here are some thoughts on why it spoke to me (and others judging by the comments on the site) so directly.
·         Terra has an amazingly pure voice which she projects magically. Her wonderful technique allows you to concentrate on the impact of the music. I’ve heard live relays of Florence Welch where she’s frankly off key, but even in an informal situation such as this webcast, Terra is vocally flawless. There’s a flexibility in delivery which is rarely evident in classical performances, but I could quite have imagined her saying ‘here’s something different’ and breaking into a virtuoso soprano number from a Britten or Janacek opera.
·         The lyrics are a heart-felt and genuine expression of her life experience. This is in contrast to the classical tradition where performers are interpreting someone else’s thoughts, and adds to the immediacy. Similarly, the music and accompaniment are Terra’s original compositions. It’s amazing to watch her effortless pianism or guitar playing simultaneously with the vocal performance. I find her acoustic performances as heard here more immediate than the elaborate arrangements on the Under the Influence album.
·         On meeting some classical musicians I know in the bar after a concert, I’ve told them I enjoyed it, and they’ll say ‘oh I hate that composer’ or ‘the conductor’s an idiot and we all hate him’. They still managed to deliver a technically accurate performance, but they were just being professional (and in some cases earning their pension contributions until they retire, having long since lost a belief in the power of music). Terra’s integrity is obvious and it’s so evident her heart’s in it (and that's she's generous enough to share some of her pain and joy with us).
·         As well as established favourites, we were treated to some new songs from her forthcoming album, which only added to the sense of anticipation for it.
It was great that Terra invited feedback and requests from her fans, and the enthusiasm from the online audience was wonderful. I was a little surprised a couple of people were chatting during the songs, but it was easy to maximise the video and return to the social media inbetween (note though that I’ve been to performances of Parsifal lasting 5 hours when the audience have been silent throughout and not much more talkative in the interval- there’s nothing wrong with some enthusiasm).
As I note in my profile, I'm an expert on classical music, but I'm only just discovering this new, rich, and emotional wider world of music and feelings. I may not have the points of reference to analyse what I hear in detail or in context; I do know instinctively though when I've been moved.

The great news if you missed this occasion is that you can watch it again here.
There are further Terra Ustreams promised this year, so keep an eye on her Ustream.tv page  and web site.

No comments:

Post a Comment