Sunday, May 8, 2011

Coachella Day 1, 15th April 2011

Coachella 2011 Day 1
Coachella 2011 was my first ever festival, and an astonishing experience which had a profound impact, not just for the musical riches but the atmosphere. The largest gathering I'd previously attended was Prince at the LA Forum the previous evening, and the enthusiasm of the Coachella crowd was amazing. I certainly don't intend it to be the only festival I attend, and if you haven't been to one, don't leave it until you're 37 to experience it, as I did!

The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
Goldenvoice's chaos with ticket dispatch for international visitors (the only fiasco in an otherwise apparently well organised festival) meant that I was far too late for the openers Rural Alberta Advantage (fortunately I'm seeing them in the UK shortly).

I've recently discovered Pains of Being Pure at Heart through their recent album Belong, and they were my first act at Coachella, playing in the Mojave tent, which had an intimate feel. They had more energy than I remember from the album, and impressed me sufficiently to want to see them again. It's upbeat, and Heart in your Heartbreak was particularly well received, but there was much more profound music to come.






Lauryn Hill
The album 'Miseducation' is a classic, and it was a real privilege to see Lauryn Hill live in the afternoon heat of the main stage, the R&B beat having a devastating impact through a soundsystem many times the size and power of any I'd heard before. She has real charisma, and the backing musicians helped to bring her show to life, confounding expectations that she might struggle to bring it off. This is a great example of how a festival can expend your musical horizons. It's a pity she hasn't accomplished a great deal in the studio since Miseducation, but how do you follow that? She was even allowed to over-run her allotted timeslot (having arrived late), which showed the respect she'd earned from this performance.




Cold War Kids
Mine is Yours is one of my favourite albums of 2011, so it's not surprising that I enjoyed the Cold War Kids' set on the Outdoor Stage. I later came to realise that this early evening slot as the sun disappears behind the palm trees and mountains is particularly magical, something Nathan Willett alluded to when addressing the audience.




Marina and The Diamonds
Marina and the Diamonds wasn't utterly amazing, but there was a great vibe in the Gobi tent during the short (20 or so minutes) set and the Welsh singer was entertaining. There are such riches at Coachella, and frequent clashes of schedule, so this is the kind of performance it's far too easy to overlook.


Cut Copy
I've thought long and hard about whether Cut Copy or Arcade Fire was my favourite experience of Coachella 2011.  I've never experienced an atmosphere like that in the Mojave Tent for Cut Copy, and it was a very special moment in the way that they engaged and inspired the audience. Interestingly, although I like Zonoscope, I've thought the earlier In Ghost Colours to be the superior album, but live, they were on on completely different level. That tent is one of the memories which keeps returning to me: an illustration of the power of live music to move me.


Kings of Leon
I tend to avoid writing about music I don't appreciate, but I can't help but mention that Kings of Leon were something of a flop at prime time on the Main Stage on Friday. I'm not a huge fan of their albums, but live they totally lacked conviction. Sadly, I decided I didn't have the stamina to stay for the late Chemical Brothers Set, something I now regret, as it was many people's highlight of the day.


No comments:

Post a Comment