Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Lykke Li, Manchester Academy, 31st October 2011 8.5/10


If this was a formal review site, rather than a personal blog, I'd analyse Lykke Li objectively and state that she puts on an accomplished show, but ultimately is a little limited in her musical range, with an accomplished voice rather than an amazing one like Adele's. However here, I assess live music by whether I wake up the morning after still buzzing with excitement, and whether that elusive, transformational 'magic' was achieved: this show easily passed these subjective criteria.


The evening started beautifully with a support band that I'd eagerly see as head liners: the folk duo First Aid Kit; youthful Swedish sisters. I was struck by the magnetic smile on their faces as they made joyful music, with Fleet Foxes' harmonies and enchanting songs. Their 45 minute set varied between foot tapping folk numbers when they were joined by a drummer, and sweet lullabies accompanied by auto harp. They sung in English, and their sound contained elements of American roots, as well as pop: they really were spell binding.


Reviews of the 2011 album Wounded Rhymes (produced by Bjorn Yttling of Peter, Bjorn and John) have emphasised the stark contrasts between the powerful and vulnerable as she switches between aggressor and victim roles. Instead, I was struck by the unity and coherence of her vision: numbers from the 2008 Youth Novels are more upbeat, but the entire set had a cool, mysterious aura. The sheer intensity and dark mood reminded me of the remarkable PJ Harvey set in Manchester a few weeks ago. Lykke Li also benefited from extensive and imaginative backing: the 5 musicians included drummer, keyboard player, guitarist, backing vocalist, but most strikingly an additional percussionist. Surprisingly, rhythm even more than melody made the greatest musical contribution to the atmosphere.


Almost more important, though, were the visuals: Lykke Li was dressed in black, whilst lighting (and use of darkness) increased the theatricality. Whilst I've gone to the ballet in my past lives for the music alone, in this show, the dancing really did capture my attention. Lykke Li's energy and commitment added to my total absorption in the experience, from a centre front row vantage point. The lead singer of an up and coming Manchester band who was present Tweeted that the music was amazing, but the audience were lethargic. There was some singing along, but the crowd was not whipped up into the frenzy of Cut Copy last week. This is missing the point though: it was a more spiritual experience.


Lykke Li spent time in the Southern California desert, writing songs for Wounded Rhymes, and in this revealing interview wrote about the spirituality of music:
'It's about going inside yourself and then bringing out something. It's such a spiritual thing for me. And very deep. I don't know if you meditate, but if you hit that, kind of unified feel, I feel like that's the same thing when you sing. It's something greater than you. You can take all your longings and go somewhere with it.'
To me, music, and wilderness are the two experiences which help me to make a connection with the world beyond that explained by science. I was reminded of the comments by my friend and musical expert Colette, in her review of a Fiona Apple gig this week, which echo my feelings about great music:
'Not only is her voice impeccable, her presence engaging, and her performance magnificent, she also seems to have a visible, direct connection to. . .  if you don’t believe in God, you will.'
Some may have misguidedly found Lykke Li cold last night: she made little attempt to talk to the audience, didn't introduce any of her songs, and  her expression was distant. This was more than just professional focus: instead, I really believe that she was in another realm, contemplating the meaning of life.


The evening ended with just one encore, but it was the highlight of the set: Unrequited Love. Wounded Rhymes was written after a relationship breakup, and this was a night of much soul wrenching and great intensity. It's fascinating to speculate where Lykke Li will take her numerous new found fans next: after playing 60 gigs since spring, she's earned some more time in the desert to re-fuel that creativity and continue her deep thoughts. So have I; I'll be taking a short break from live music to spend some time in The Arctic amongst nature, and Lykke Li's albums will be part of my soundtrack to that barren landscape.


The singer herself appealed to the audience near the start to refrain from videoing the gig, but I'm sharing my still photographs.

No comments:

Post a Comment