Sunday, February 19, 2012

Dawes, Manchester Academy 3, 18th February 2012 8/10



Robert Ellis is a youthful 22 year from Houston, Texas; his set reflected the split between folk and country styles in his 2011 album Photographs. Influences include Neil Young in the former and Willie Nelson for the latter. Except for the song photographed above, he played solo, accompanying himself on acoustic guitar, and played tenderly and sensitively. The audience listened in rapt silence, and I was touched. However, it was Dawes who provided not only a journey to North America, but also time travel.


Dawes consists of lead singer Taylor Goldsmith, brother Griffin on drums, Wylie Gelber on bass, and Tay Straithairn on Hammond Organ. They are from Los Angeles, and sinfluenced by the 1960's Laurel Canyon sound characterised by the likes of Crosby, Stills and Nash and Joni Mitchell. Their 60 minute set consisted largely of the well received 2011 album Nothing is Wrong, although they played a few numbers from their first album, North Hills, released in 2009. If you enjoy these two albums, make sure that you check out Middle Brother, which consists of Taylor plus members of Deer Tick and Delta Spirit.


Frankly, there's something very awry if you dislike the rich harmonies and warm Americana sound of Dawes. From the very first few chords I felt a deep sense of well being, love and nostalgia. Some might describe this as backward looking music, and it doesn't forge a new or experimental path, but you can hardly criticise a desire to make music steeped in your culture, guaranteed to give pleasure. Despite this being Dawes' first gig in Manchester, and competing with several other appealing gigs this Saturday evening, the venue was packed. Our nations have a strong connection, and despite the geographic distance, the cultural affinity is deep, and musical interchange strong. I'm always hearted and thrilled by the number of touring American bands who venture to this damp corner of England.


The performance was technically flawless, but more than this, Taylor Goldsmith in particular exhibited brilliant stagecraft, putting all his soul into the performance. My photographs hopefully illustrate how expressive he is, and the band's commitment was so evident and infectious. In the early part of the gig, the audience stood respectfully, but Taylor worked hard to break down our British reserve, and a sprited singalong was the reward in Time Spent in Los Angeles. I can't imagine anyone not feeling more positive about life after this performance, and I felt like giving someone a hug. Manchester's Academy is one of my favourite venues, and as ever the sound was excellent, the staff friendly, and in the smallest of their four spaces, I had an unparalleled vantage point. Yet, if I had a regret, it was that I was that the music didn't quite succeed in transporting me a bar in my beloved America, drink in hand. It's hardly Dawes' fault though that I had to drive home, and that for all its strengths, The Academy lacks character. I hope they come to your town, and that you can luxuriate in their soulful harmonies and near perfect musicanship.



4 comments:

  1. Great photos and great review!

    The singalong to When My Time Comes was my favourite part of the night, having watched a bunch of great ones on YT I was so excited to experience it myself and was so glad all the crowd joined in.

    I myself was singing and dancing along all night, such a great band. Met the brothers after too and they were lovely. I hope they come back soon and hopefully to Scotland this time (I tripped down specially to see them as they missed us on this tour)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks very much, I'm really pleased you enjoyed it :) I'm sure they'll be back to the UK and hopefully Scotland soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems like they were amazing as always. I'm from the US and saw Dawes at Levon Helm's Ramble--I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life. I've been a fan for years, since Simon Dawes, and I'm so happy to see all the success the band has been having!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read this review, more than a year later. Your writing is excellent; I appreciate the glimpse of your experience with my favorites, Dawes. Hope to hear from you in 2013!

    ReplyDelete