Thursday, February 16, 2012

Terra Naomi, Shipping Forecast Liverpool, 15th February 2012 9/10



This was the first anniversary of my very first gig, and I could hardly have chosen a more apt artist to mark the occasion, since Terra Naomi was first performer I discovered independently and fell in love with in November 2010. I've written about her music previously, but this the first time I've made it to one of her shows. Indeed, this tour marked Terra's first visit to the UK for over three years. She's exceptional for her use of social media, initially via YouTube where Say It's Possible became a viral hit, and she continues to be innovative. Terra is perhaps the most conscientious artist I know in her consistent engagement with her fans. Her most recent album, To Know I'm OK was a product of Pledge Music's direct to fan model. I featured it as one of my top albums of 2011 and you can find an excellent track by track exploration with interviews here.


It was such a privilege to see Terra in a small (but packed) venue: she famously played Wembley Stadium as part of Live Earth, and yet here she was a few feet from me. Music stands and falls by its emotional impact, and I was incredibly moved by this performance. The atmosphere was one of rapt concentration: Terra captured the audience's undivided attention. Of course there was a quite different feel to a rock gig, where people are dancing, but her personality on stage made for a far more relaxed atmosphere than a classical concert. Her guitar and keyboard playing is flawless, but her most extraordinary instrument is her soprano voice. It's always perfectly pitched, and her innate musicality allows her transform it into a window on deep, heartfelt emotions of pain and joy. She has a background is in opera, and this training has given her an enviable range and level of vocal control, which she's now able to utilise with expressive freedom which is rare in the classical world.


Terra judiciously combined established favourites like the Vicodin Song with numbers such as You For Me and To Know I'm OK from her latest album. We were also treated to two new songs, A Ring is Just A Ring and Nothing to Hide, which demonstarted that her creative spark is in full flow. For me the most pleasant surprise was the inclusion of three covers, Bridge over Troubled Waters, Judas and the amazingly beautiful Leonard Cohen Hallelujah which closed the show. Sadly, this was the final UK date of Terra's tour, but she's already announced that she'll be returning her in September. In the mean time, she's also recording a live CD on the Italian leg of her tour which you can pre-order here.


There is an sincerity and directness in Terra's music making which was all the more evident on this solo tour, with only her own piano and guitar accompaniment. John Alagia, the renowned producer's influence is evident in the catchiness and rich instrumentation of the first eight tracks of To Know I'm OK, but I personally love the honesty of her acoustic sets. Terra's gift for melody and word setting is all the clearer in sparer arrangements, and her enthusiasm shined through. She clearly enjoys touring, and sharing her love of music. I'm so grateful that she's helped me to expand my own musical horizons, and strongly urge that you experience her magic for yourself.


I've previously suggested checking out another city's music scene, and on this evidence, Liverpool's is in vibrant health. We were treated to three local support acts, all playing acoustic sets. I was particularly taken with Ogo Nzeakor, a soul singer who was born in Nigeria but is very much a Scouser, particularly in his humour. His voice is rich and resonant, and expressed heartfelt emotions, such those around his late uncle who was an inspiration to him. Ogo's working on a new album for release soon, but in the meantime you can download his 2010 Stand Together free from Bandcamp. He cites influences from African folk, but I also loved the bluesy feel of songs like The Player.



No comments:

Post a Comment