Monday, June 11, 2012

Parklife, Manchester 9th June 2012

It's fair to say though that I would rather have been in Manchester, TN this weekend for Bonnaroo than in Manchester, England. Sadly, the first act, To Kill A King, was cancelled by the event organisers and their attempt to play an acoustic set to the waiting crowd was also thwarted; but here follows a roundup of the remaining acts, and my thoughts about the event as a whole.

Stay+ 4/10

Stay Positive is a duo with one band member devoted to visuals and one musician; perhaps the absence of the former explained why this set didn't really engage me. I can imagine that given a larger crowd and the visual element, the more extrovert, dance music aspects of Stay+'s art might have created a celebratory atmosphere. Here, though, it felt like a watching a guy surfing the web on his Macbook, and I found it difficult to discern when the PA music stopped and the act started.

Alt-J 9/10

I've been extremely excited about Alt-J's debut album, and this was their first major festival performance. The crowd went wild when they played their single Breezeblocks, having already become ecstatic over Tessellate. My highlight though was Matilda. The four piece are based in Cambridge, and the quirky music, with a wild mix of influences from folk to rock and even electronics was utterly absorbing from the outset. Leader Joe Newman doesn't engage in any wild onstage antics, instead relying on the music to speak powerfully. I can't wait to see them in a headline set, as the 30 minutes here passed all too quickly.

Django Django 6/10

This Edinburgh quartet, complete with matching T Shirts, can't be faulted for their ability to get a crowd dancing. My own preferences lean more towards folk and rock than this pop, which perhaps explains why I wasn't really moved. Their sound is heavy with synths and primeval rhythms, and is undoubtedly cleverly crafted. I find the limited range of their repertoire repetitive, but don't let my indifference discourage you.

Spector 7.5/10

I've previously seen London's Spector supporting Florence and Cut Copy, but I was more impressed on this occasion than previously. Fred MacPherson is a charismatic front man who's confident in working the audience, and the other four band members now provide enthusiastic support. Their music is far from revolutionary, but their guitar pop, with added 1980's style synth, is catchy and enjoyable. I await the August release of their début album with interest.

Friends 8/10

Brooklyn's Friends was most notable for Samantha Urbani's remarkably enthusiastic and repeated crowd surfing; she also engaged her youthful demographic brilliantly between songs. The music itself was light pop, with some R&B influences. Urbani's voice is soaked in reverb with lively, rhythmic percussion. It's a fun rather than profound combination, most effective in the song A Thing Like This, which is so, so catchy. Definitely a band to watch.

Noah and the Whale 6/10

After experiencing Noah and the Whale for the first time, I was incredibly uplifted; then I saw them in a totally unsuitable arena setting where their nu folk sound was lost. Amongst the mud of Manchester, I felt that Charlie Fink had become too familiar with this material, as he seemed disengaged. The band is currently working on their next album, and I suspect that's where their interest now lies. If course, hits such as LIFEGOESON and Tonight's The Kind of Night from Last Night on Earth encouraged celebration in the young crowd, but they were hampered by the indistinct, bass heavy sound on the main stage. With mud everywhere, Blue Skies seemed like a reminder of happier times.

The Flaming Lips 5/10

This spectacular set was a showcase for Wayne Coyne's ego, and for The Flaming Lips' extensive back catalogue of material. It was a celebration, and yet like Muse at Reading Festival last year left me cold. Real magic for me isn't created by visual gimmicks such as Coyne's Zorbing. It happens when an artist like Brittany Howard sings her heart out in a small venue, and by the power of music alone transports me. Here, I felt that the audience weren't trusted to appreciate the language of music alone, and instead the creative energy was channelled into trying to ensure that we didn't get bored. For me all the showmanship had the opposite effect, and I left before the end of the show.

Parklife Weekender Festival 5/10

Live music is unpredictable, as it's all about emotional responses. On this particular grey, wet and extremely muddy day I wasn't transported to a better plane, except during Alt-J's set. This was in large part due to the choice of artists; it was heavily biased towards electronics, DJ sets and dubstep, to the extent that there were 6 tents I didn't go into at all. Lacking was any roots music, Americana or folk, and rock was also thin on the ground. The event organisation was lacking: there was a complete absence of signage, and none of the staff on duty was able to assist with directions. Of course, this isn't an event with the budget of Goldenvoice at Coachella, but I wish they'd invested more in the main stage sound system, and on getting the arena ready in time for the first acts. I'm happy that Parklife provided many young people from the nearby University with their first festival experience; but I hope their move to a new location next year gives them more space, and an opportunity to broaden their repertoire.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it was a good decision not to go to Parklife in the end, even though it's basically around the corner for me. alt-J would've been the only reason for me to go anyway. Saw them twice before and was very impressed each time! Interesting observation about Noah and the Whale... but you know that! ;)

    ReplyDelete