Sunday, April 28, 2013

Coachella 2013 Day 1 Photos

Coachella 2013 proved to be my favourite yet musically. Here I post some photographs of the performers who wowed and disappointed me, and the atmosphere on the first day of the first weekend.

The Highlights

1) Alt-J 9.5/10
One of my favourite acts, who were utterly compelling in a packed Mojave tent: great to see them winning over the hearts of Americans.

2) How To Destroy Angels 9/10
If I hadn't seen one of the best shows ever two days earlier in Pomona, this would surely have been the highlight of my festival. As it was, the visuals dazzled a little less in the Mojave, and the audience whilst attentive, was surprisingly thin. Still chillingly atmospheric.


3) Of Monsters and Men 8.5/10
The Icelanders never fail to give joy, and the late afternoon sun of the Outdoor Stage was a strangely apt setting to enjoy their folk pop.

4) Metric 8/10
I heard reports of poor sound for this set, but where I was stood in the centre of the main stage, it was fine, and Emily Haines' energy in a set heavy in songs from Synthetic was compelling.


5) Jake Bugg 8/10
I'd seen Jake Bugg a year earlier in a relatively small venue in Manchester and was a little under whelmed, but he's matured immensely since then, and now I understand the hype.

6) Beach House 8/10
On the Outdoor Stage at night, Beach House were depending on your point of view, utter perfection, or static and dull. On this occasion, they were a welcome palate cleanser after so much more depending music.

7) Stars 7/10
The Canadian indie pop band played the main stage in the afternoon heat and were engaging enough that I wish I'd been able to catch the whole set.

8) Band of Horses 7/10
There was a familiarity about this Seattle outfit despite the fact I haven't seen them before; their rootsy sound was perfect to sooth my now tired soul.

The Disappointments

1) Polica 5/10

2) Modest Mouse 5/10

3) Local Natives 7/10

The Atmosphere




No comments:

Post a Comment