Monday, April 29, 2013

Coachella 2013 Day 3 Photos

The final day of Coachella turned into a sand storm, and it came close to being cancelled. This led to an early exodus from the polo fields for many, yet there were still musical riches.

1) Grimes 9/10
It's wonderful to see how the introvert Grimes has developed her act over the last year, adding two dances and moving her own body far more than previously. Meanwhile, the music was as magical as ever.

2) Little Green Cars 8.5/10
The Irish indie folk act provided an upbeat and lively early set in the Gobi tent, and experienced from the front rail were captivating.

3) James Blake 8/10
James Blakes' set was moody, atmospheric and was sufficiently interesting to inspire me on my return home to buy a ticket for one of his headline shows later this year.

4) Smith Westerns 8/10
The Smith Westerns were joined by a giant snail on the Outdoor Stage, and their country tinged melody was soothing in the midday heat.

5) DIIV 8/10
I'd seen DIIV earlier in the week supporting How to Destroy Angels in Pomona, and they once again gave a tight, powerful set.

6) Father John Misty 8/10
This Americana act was the surprise of the day, with outstanding energy and warm, slightly eccentric banter from the front man Joshua Tillman.

7) The Lumineers 7.5/10
I may have enjoyed this set more had I been closer to the stage: the music seemed too intimate, and stripped down for such a huge stage, and I their live act lacked depth.

8) Jessie Ware 7/10
This was my first time seeing the British soul singer; she commanded the crowd and gave a confident performance in the Mojave tent.

9) Wild Belle 7/10
This was the start of my final day, in incredible heat, and whilst the music is more suited to this environment than rainy Manchester, I found a lack of variety in their songs, despite the delightful saxophone playing.

10) Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 6/10
By this stage, the wind had gathered pace, sand was in my mouth and eyes, and I found this set bombastic, for all its energy.

The Festival





No comments:

Post a Comment